It’s no secret that travel businesses are in trouble right now. Airlines are planning huge layoffs for the fall and a large percentage of hotels will likely never reopen.
We’re incredibly sad to say that due to ongoing uncertainties from COVID, TrekAmerica won’t be continuing to run trips, the notice begins. As of today, we’re no longer taking bookings. If you already have a booking with us, we’ll be offering a full refund, or you can transfer your booking to a trip with our sister company, Exodus Travels or Exodus Edits.

Founded in 1972, TrekAmerica introduced millions of domestic and international travelers to the iconic sights of the United States over the decades. The hallmarks of the company were affordable pricing, a youthful clientele, and dedicated guides. Small groups, usually around a dozen people, would travel by customized van, pooling their money into a food kitty for meals, and camping out. It was a seminal experience for customers as well as guides.
Trek America Freedom Trail: Why This Is The Perfect East Coast Usa Tour
The best thing about TrekAmerica was that it was geared towards 18 to 38 year olds, Michael Harding, a senior tour leader from 2000 to 2019, told me. You sometimes got to take people on their very first trip abroad. What an amazing opportunity it was to open a young person’s eyes to the beauty of travel and especially to the natural wonders of North America. I get emails or messages several times a year from people who still remember a two-week trip we took together 20 years ago and what an impact it had on their outlook. That’s really special.
In recent years, the company was owned by umbrella organization Travelopia, which placed it under the management of Exodus Travels in 2019.
“The election of Trump deterred many foreigners—and Europeans in particular—from traveling to the U.S. at this time, ” said Joseph Spaid, a TrekAmerica guide in 2018 and 2019, when I asked him what he thought had gone wrong with the company.
Trek America Tours
Visiting a single or a couple of closely situated cities has never been easier, as Spaid put it. Just Google top 10 youth hostels, bars, and attractions and you’ve got everything you need to know to explore a city. Trek’s strength was in the overland and cross-country adventures they offered, but they lost market share for these reasons.
Among remaining tour companies in the market, Contiki and G Adventures probably have the closest business models to TrekAmerica's—both offer affordable trips geared toward young travelers. At this stage, Contiki and G Adventures still have numerous departures available for purchase in 2021 and 2022.
But will they and other tour operators be able to negotiate this difficult period? It’s hard to know for sure. So much depends on when travel bans will be lifted and vaccines introduced.
Beloved Tour Operator Trekamerica Calls It Quits
The things I learned, the bonds that were forged, the friendships that were made, have lasted a lifetime, says Shirley Fleig, a TrekAmerica guide in the 1980s and a sales associate for the company in the last two years. Thirty-five years later, I still visit and vacation with past passengers and tour leaders from my days as a TrekAmerica tour leader. Best job I ever had.”
Frommer's, and carefully selected third parties, use cookies on this site to improve performance, for analytics and for advertising. By browsing this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. For more information see our Cookie Policy.Hiking in the Grand Canyon was the highlight of my Trek America journey. Taking a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon was amazing but being inside the canyon, touching the rocks and seeing it transform as we hiked lower was incredible. It’s that moment when you’re exhausted and sweating, your heart is pumping so hard …
One of my favourite things about travelling is discovering a place that truly surprises me. I thought I’d hate Marrakech but I loved the exotic hustle. I didn’t know Iceland would be so beautiful but I was blown away. I hadn’t expected to fall head over heels in love with Slovenia but it quickly became …

Trekamerica & Exodus Adventure Travels
Packing for Trek America can be tough because you feel like you need so much stuff – but you also need to keep your luggage light because you travel around so much. Predictably, I overpacked but learned a few Trek America packing lessons during my Westerner 2 trip. Hopefully this will make your Trek America …
I am so excited to tell you guys about this competition with TrekAmerica to win a place on their Westerner 3 tour. This is the trip of all trips if you want to see as many of the USA’s epic national parks as you possibly can in 3 weeks. Go on, take a quick look …
If I had to describe my perfect day at the beach it would include soaring temperatures, a cloudless blue sky and a golden beach. I’d want some gentle waves to splash around in and a refreshing breeze to keep me cool. This sounds idyllic but, let’s me honest, this gets boring pretty quickly so I’d …
Journey Began With Trek America 1981
Flying over the Grand Canyon in a helicopter has to be on almost every travel lover’s bucket list. Not only do you have the incredible experience of seeing the Grand Canyon from the skies but you also get to ride in the most fun form of transport possible, a helicopter! I’d been in …
Hiking in Yosemite National Park was another of the incredible highlights from my time in the US. I know I’ve said this about virtually every place I visited with Trek America but it’s true! I love hiking so I was so excited to visit Yosemite. Yosemite is the second oldest national park in the US …

My final few days in California were tinged with sadness. We’d done so much over the past few weeks and I felt like I’d been travelling for months and couldn’t imagine going back to ‘the real world’. I’d got back into the backpacking way of life and felt like I could carry on for years. …
Emily Luxton On Linkedin: 8 Reasons To Book A Trip With Trek America
There’s no place on earth that can inspire your sense of adventure quite like the Grand Canyon. It makes you feel tiny and insignificant in comparison to the sheer vastness of the canyon. But it also makes you feel strong and in awe of our incredible world. After my trip to the US I found …
From the shore, Alcatraz Island doesn’t look too far away. I squinted into the distance and could just about see the tiny island 1.5 miles from mainland San Francisco. A low cloud hung over ‘The Rock’ giving it an eerily ominous appearance. Despite the creepy air of mystery surrounding Alcatraz, I still thought I could …
If you want to be a ‘proper tourist’ in San Francisco you can’t miss a catamaran cruise at sunset. I wasn’t keen at first and thought it was just a slightly classier version of a booze cruise. OK, I’m not going to lie, it was a classier version of a booze cruise and I loved …
Southern States Tour
If you’ve ever seen the film Into the Wildthen these photos may be familiar to you because Salvation Mountain is featured in the film. If you haven’t seen the film or read the book then I strongly recommend you add it to your list because both are brilliant, especially if you have a nomadic, adventurous …
I am so excited to share my next big trip with you all. In my February review I mentioned that I had a big and exciting trip coming up and here it is….! On April 9th I’m flying out to Miami and then I’ll be flying out to LA to begin a tour with Trek …
On Wednesday I flew out to Miami and I’ve been loving this whirlwind of gorgeous beaches, amazing food, swanky bars, shopping and sight-seeing. I haven’t had chance to catch up on my favourite blogs so I’m going to skip Weekend Reads this week and share some of the books I’ve downloaded for my trip. (If …
Central America Tours
When travelling, I often find that you don’t fully appreciate how incredible a moment is until it’s passed. It’s usually a few weeks later when you’re looking through your photos and reminiscing about the good times when you realise what a magical moment it was. I’ve been doing this a lot recently with my Trek …With twin-share accommodation, a pre-tour night and a range of local group meals, the tours aim to fulfil customer’s needs by offering more creature comforts.
“We learnt that our customers and Millennials in general are increasingly interested in comfort and more inclusive prices, which is exactly what
The four newly presented trips include 4x4 Navajo guided tours of the Navajo Reservation at Monument Valley, a Hornblower Cruise at Niagara

Discover The Magic Of Peru With Luxury Inca Trail Tours: An Unforgettable Luxury Inca Trail Trek Experience
Falls and a party bus trip in Las Vegas. A section of ‘must do’ local dinners will be added to the list and will include an authentic Texan dinner at the Big Texan Steak Ranch on Route 66 and a pizza party at the Grand Canyon.
The Canyons + Coast LA to LA 14-day
Posting Komentar untuk "Trek America Tours"