We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content and targeted ads, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audiences come from. To learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy. Please also read our Privacy Notice and Terms of Use, which became effective December 20, 2019.
How’s it going y’all? Since we’re all locked inside for the time being, Stephen and I decided it would be nice to curate a list of some of our favorite streamable content: food shows. I personally love food shows; there’s always something new to learn, and cooking is one of the things that I always feel

Synopsis: Each episode focuses on a single chef and chronicles their life and passions. These aren’t just any chefs though - these are the top chefs in the world, often presiding over the top ranked restaurants in the world.
The Foodie Comes To America
Typically I don’t find biographical documentaries all that interesting but Chef’s Table manages to transcend the biography genre in so many different ways. For one, these aren’t just “I like to cook” people - these are the people in the absolute highest echelon of the cooking world. These are the people that drive the world’s best restaurants and are basically gods in the food scene. Top chefs are super interesting to me because they’re so single-minded about their craft. It’s not just a hobby or a passion or a job; it’s their very existence. They’re unbelievably creative and inventive, and their highly dedicated pursuit of culinary perfection can be incredibly inspiring. There’s a lot to learn from these people.
On top of the human aspect of it all, the food is absolutely stunning. Netflix does a fantastic job of showing the beauty and craft involved in the process and product; the dishes leap out of your TV and will blow you away.
Synopsis: Celebrity Chef David Chang explores various themes through what is arguably our most universal lens - cooking and traditions surrounding food.
American Food Trip
This is going to sound extremely basic of me, but I love David Chang. Everything he puts out, I consume. I watched all of Ugly Delicious Season 2 the day it came out in one sitting. I subscribe to his podcast, I use his ssäm sauce on my omelettes in the morning. But of all the things he’s pushed out into the ether, this show is my favorite.
Each episode uses food to explore a theme in a creative way that leaves the viewer thinking in a much more deep way than they would if they were just watching DDD (no offense Guy). My favorite episode is probably the first in the show simply titled,
He explores the concept of authenticity throughout the episode and when I first watched it, I probably thought about pizza for the next 4 days. After that, my next favorite episodes are probably Steak, Shrimp & Crawfish, and Home Cooking.
The Food That Built America
The cinematic work in each episode is brillant. The show is funny without forcing the issue. Thought-provoking without insulting the audience. I can’t properly put into words how this show makes me feel, but the closest I can get is that I can taste the best meals of my life each time I watch an episode, which is how I know without a shred of doubt that they’re getting it right.
Note from Chris: Anyone wanna guess whether Stephen has a subscription to Netflix or simply knows someone? Asking for a friend. But really, I share Stephen’s affinity with David Chang. The guy is just so normal and accessible, and I eagerly consume everything he does.
Synopsis: Top chefs from around the world compete in a series of cooking challenges where each episode tasks them with creating dishes from a particular country’s cuisine.
Cascade Pbs Food Shows
The Final Table is a show purely about cooking talent. There’s not much else here besides getting an intimate look at the process of cooking food. Each episode focuses on a different country’s cuisine, so the content is always fresh and the chefs are forced out of their comfort zone quite often. I would liken this show to watching professional sports. You will definitely not watch and think “yeah I can totally do that”; you’ll watch and be constantly amazed at the things that insanely talented people can do. Their knowledge of ingredients and techniques is beyond impressive. It’s a huge reminder that what you do in your kitchen isn’t even in the same realm as what they can do.
Watch this if you: want a front row seat to some of the most talented chefs in the world cooking amazing and elevated food.

“Host Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America’s classic “greasy spoon” restaurants — diners, drive-ins and dives — that have been doing it right for decades.”
Food Network Show Schedules, Videos And Episode Guides
The official pitch for my eventual cross-country college football and food book can just be taken verbatim from this, but add in tailgating as a whole 200 page odyssey side quest.
Triple D has 32 official seasons and over 400 episodes/specials, and you’ve likely never seen the same episode twice. I’ve spent more time than I want to admit watching Guy speed around in a convertible sampling bites of food prepared by America’s finest restaurateurs. Make no mistake, the people depicted in this show are the real heroes of American culinary tradition. It’s big. It’s often fried. It’s definitely not the recommended serving size. But damn if it isn’t good. Whenever I’m on a road trip or visiting a new city, if I don’t know somebody there, I know Guy does. DDD has its markings all over most every major city in America, so odds are you can eat somewhere that Guy has too.
Went home for the holidays and have nothing to do? DDD is probably on TV. Just got to the hotel on a business trip and need to kill a few hours before bed? DDD is probably on TV. On vacation with a group and need something to throw on in downtime? DDD is probably on TV. At every turn in your life and at every age, DDD is there. I say this with all seriousness: DDD is a total comfort zone for me. I genuinely feel peaceful sitting and watching it. I threw it on last weekend, ignored the people around me, and just sat for hours alternating between saying “ooooh”, “that looks good”, and “I’d eat that”. I’ve got “I’m Guy Fieri and we’re rollin’ out” seared into my brain.

Top 10 Food Network Shows Of All Time
It’s probably the most accessible food show on the planet; everyone has those amazing local places that they either grew up with, go to regularly now, or still remember from that trip that one time. Local restaurants are the life-blood of America and DDD is a triumphant opus of showing them off.
Look, if you haven’t heard of GBBO yet, I don’t know what rock you’ve been hiding under. This show has gained a ton of popularity in America recently and has sparked a ton of great meme content. To put it simply, this show is an absolute joy to watch. The contestants are delightfully british and the overall tone is usually goofy and playful. Sometimes you forget it’s a competition at all - everyone is so friendly and it can be very heartwarming to watch them help each other.
If you’ve ever baked something and thought “hey that’s pretty good”, this show will remind you that there’s 1000 sweet old british ladies that will bake circles around you. Still, the appeal for this show is more about the people than the food to me. The hosts and judges are phenomenal and the quirky jovial vibe is a nice change from the American style of “the people in competition shows must have tragic backstories that make you cry”. The facial reactions are also incredible and the camera crew does such a great job capturing them. I don’t really know what else to say: please watch this show.
Julia': How One Celebrity Chef Influenced America
This Netflix original is definitely a different take on food shows, which is refreshing in a very real way. It doesn’t have the high cinematic qualities and starpower of shows like Chef’s Table or Ugly Delicious, but what Street Food does a good job of capturing is the reality of a place. By telling the story of a culture and city with the words of the chefs themselves rather than hearing it from a host, you get a certified authenticity built into the show that other shows often lack. The sheer determination and drive of these street vendors is incredible to hear again and again, and to see how they are able to create some of the most sought after food in their city never ceases to amaze me. Whenever the Stephen World Food Tour book gets its sponsorship, this is how I would want to tell the story.

Watch this if you: Want to venture off the traditional “white guy goes abroad to taste “crazy” “new” food” cliche - *cough cough*
*cough cough*. There’s a lot of voice dubbing because they’re
Posting Komentar untuk "Food Shows America"