Good Morning America Jen Ashton

Good Morning America Jen Ashton

We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.

Our team thoroughly researches and evaluates the recommendations we make on our site. To establish that the product manufacturers addressed safety and efficacy standards, we:

Dr.

Resilience is a word we’ve been hearing a lot lately, but does anyone really understand what it means — or if you have it? Good Morning America’s chief medical correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton knows a thing or two about resilience. In today’s episode, she helps us understand it, too.

Dr. Fauci Surprises Dr. Jen Ashton At Gma3 Wedding Shower

Join us as we learn what we all need to know to be resilient in the face of COVID and other adversities. We also discuss the different types of resilience, from financial to psychological, and how to tell if we’re resilient — and if we’re not, Dr. Ashton shows us how to be.

Dr. Jennifer Ashton is ABC News’ Chief Health and Medical Correspondent. As part of the ABC News medical unit, she reports on major health and wellness issues across all ABC News platforms. She also reports the latest breaking medical news for “GMA3: What You Need to Know, ” informing viewers about how to stay safe and healthy during the pandemic and beyond.

Ashton has been at the forefront of ABC News’ COVID-19 coverage, visiting the NIH Vaccine Development Lab and the White House, meeting with Vice President Pence and White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx. Ashton also interviewed National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases director and member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, Dr. Anthony Fauci.

Abc News' Jennifer Ashton Weds Tom Werner: 'i Never Thought I'd Find Love Like This'

Gabe Howard is an award-winning writer and speaker who lives with bipolar disorder. He is the author of the popular book, “Mental Illness is an Asshole and other Observations

Gabe makes his home in the suburbs of Columbus, Ohio. He lives with his supportive wife, Kendall, and a Miniature Schnauzer dog that he never wanted, but now can’t imagine life without. To learn more about Gabe, please visit his website, gabehoward.com.

Dr.

Announcer: You’re listening to Inside Mental Health: A Psych Central Podcast where experts share experiences and the latest thinking on mental health and psychology. Here’s your host, Gabe Howard.

Dr. Jennifer Ashton: 5 Things To Know About The 'gma3' Cohost

Gabe Howard: Hello, everyone, I’m your host, Gabe Howard, and I want to quickly thank our sponsor, Better Help. You can get a week free by visiting BetterHelp.com/. Calling into the show today we have Dr. Jennifer Ashton. Dr. Ashton is the Chief Medical Correspondent for ABC News and Good Morning America. She’s also the author of the book on finding resilience in the time of COVID titled “The New Normal.” Dr. Ashton, welcome to the show.

Gabe Howard: Oh, you’re very welcome. Dr. Ashton, your book is titled “The New Normal: A Roadmap to Resilience in the Pandemic Era, ” and it was released in February of this year. And one of the things that I’ve noticed online, especially in doing research for this show, is that the phrase the new normal is not so liked anymore. Have you noticed that? Do you have an opinion on that?

-

Dr. Jennifer Ashton: No, you know what, I actually. So first of all, some behind the scenes kind of information for your listeners. I can’t speak for other authors, but “The New Normal” was my sixth book, so this was not my first rodeo in the publishing world. And with every single book, I will say that the title was largely selected by the publisher and or editor with my kind of approval and tweaking. The reason for that is because the publishers and editors, this is what they do for a living. You know, they can take content and then say, OK, let me think of what the best title is for that. No different, really, than how producers in television will package content and write, let’s say, the tease for the segment or something like that. So when my publishing team at HarperCollins and William Morrow Books, when they picked or suggested the title, “The New Normal, ” I said, I hate that term.

Dr. Jennifer Ashton

Dr. Jennifer Ashton: I actually, I actually said, that makes me cringe. Why do you think that’s a good title? And they basically described exactly what you did in your question and they said, and remember, this was six months before the book came out. So this is in the fall of 2020. And they said, you know, this is going to be a buzz term and it’s people are going to be using this and it’s going to generate very strong feelings. And I said, right, I mean, I can’t stand that term. So they said, why do you dislike it? And I said, Well, because I think there’s nothing normal about what’s going on, and it’s at a certain point, not new anymore. And they said exactly. So it’s almost like an oxymoron or a double entendre or a tongue in cheek. They described it any number of ways in the literary world. And I realized that as usual, they were right. There was enough to that that sparked conversation and emotional reaction that I trusted them and said, OK, let’s compromise. I’ll settle on that for the main title if I can give you the subtitle, and as we’ve done with several of my books, we agreed that that was the good compromise.

Gabe Howard: Now, resilience is one of those concepts that has a lot of personal opinion mixed in with fact. For example, I may think it’s resilient to finish a race when I’ve lost, whereas someone else may think that it’s only resilient to find a way to win. With so much ambiguity, how do you clearly communicate and teach about resiliency in the way that you do?

Dr.

Dr. Jennifer Ashton: Well, I always use my starting point to be what I would tell an individual person or a patient. And that’s really what I use to inform my segments. It’s how I often say my job as chief medical correspondent makes me a better doctor, and being a real practicing doctor makes me a better medical correspondent. I’ve learned a lot in the 16 years that I’ve been in practice, and I’ve learned a lot in the 16 years that I’ve been doing national television. And I really drew on that heavily in the last, I would say, four and a half years for different reasons. But I feel like what we’ve all been living through has really kind of forced us all to get up close and personal with this concept of resilience. And I think the short answer to your question is that resilience means different things to different people. There could be physical resilience, there could be psychological resilience, there can be financial resilience, or it could be one of those things one day, another thing another day. At the end of it all is really that resilience means a strength and survivability that exists, maybe even in settings where we don’t expect to find it.

Video What Should I Do If I'm Too Tired To Workout?

Dr. Jennifer Ashton: Um, I define it as just doing something that you didn’t think you could do. And whether that’s surviving a diagnosis or living through the loss of a loved one, a death of a loved one or the end of a relationship or the end of a job. I’ve in some ways experienced a lot of those things personally, and certainly we all know someone who’s experienced those things by now. And so for me, I kind of am a glass half full type of person. So I look at resilience always with a positive spin, which is how much better are you than you thought you actually were? And I think that definitely the pandemic, but also just life experiences that we’ve been through recently, that I’ve been through, has really taught me a lot about resilience.

Gabe Howard: I’m very much a glass half empty kind of person. Understanding, and I just say that because I do understand resiliency and as somebody who lives with bipolar disorder, who’s somebody who was fired from their job, as somebody who’s been through a lot, even though I am still very pessimistic, I still think that I’m very resilient. Is there a space in resiliency for people like me? Am I allowed to consider myself resilient?

ABC's

Dr. Jennifer Ashton: Oh, I mean, definitely, I think that again, there is no, there is a definition, obviously in Webster’s, but I think that it will mean different things to different people. And whether or not you’re pessimistic at heart, I think, is not exactly the same thing as resilience. Resilience, I think, means you can withstand or tolerate more than you thought you could. That doesn’t mean that you’re enjoying it, right? That doesn’t mean you’re putting a positive spin on it. It just means that something that you didn’t think you’d be able to get through you are.

Dr. Jennifer Ashton On The Latest Health Headlines

Gabe Howard: One of the reasons that I never liked math in school is

Posting Komentar untuk "Good Morning America Jen Ashton"