Good Morning America Host That Had Breast Cancer

Good Morning America Host That Had Breast Cancer

I remember exactly where I was when I got the call from a Good Morning America producer. I was about to interview Marie Monville, the wife of the Amish school shooter, in the bucolic setting of Lancaster, Pa. She was speaking out about the senseless horror that happened in the most unlikely of places.

I was focused on what was about to be an emotional interview regarding life after tragedy, when our producer asked me if she could make a sensitive request: Amy, next week we'd like you to do the first ever live television mammogram for 'GMA' Goes Pink day. You're 40, the age women should start getting mammograms. Would you even consider it?

-

It felt like a strange thing to consider given where I was and what I was about to do, but oddly now, it all feels connected.

Where Is Amy Robach From Good Morning America? Details On Her Breast Cancer Battle

For the past 20 years, sadly, a large part of my job deals in tragedy - other peoples' tragedies - but never my own.

That day, when I was asked to do something I really didn't want to do, something I had put off for more than a year, I had no way of knowing that I was in a life-or-death situation.

Sitting in that kitchen with Marie Monville, I had cancer and didn't know it. In fact, I would have considered it virtually impossible that I would have cancer. I work out, I eat right, I take care of myself and I have very little family history; in fact, all of my grandparents are still alive.

Robin Roberts Reveals Partner Amber Laign Has Breast Cancer

So in the days to follow, if several producers and even Robin Roberts herself hadn't convinced me that doing this on live television would save lives, I would never have been able to save my own.

I thought I was going back in for a few follow-up images, only to find out in a matter of hours that I had breast cancer.

I was alone that afternoon, never thinking to bring anyone with me, never thinking that day would be life-altering. My husband was on a business trip and my parents live across the country, but that night everyone flew into New York City and we started gearing up for a fight.

Former Good Morning America Host Joan Lunden Takes Off Her Wig On People Magazine Cover

On Thursday, Nov. 14, I will go into surgery where my doctors will perform a bilateral mastectomy followed by reconstructive surgery. Only then will I know more about what that fight will fully entail, but I am mentally and physically as prepared as anyone can be in this situation.

Amy

And while everyone who gets cancer is clearly unlucky, I got lucky by catching it early, and there are so many people to thank for making sure I did. Every producer, every person who urged me to do this, changed my trajectory.

I was also told this, for every person who has cancer, at least 15 lives are saved because people around them become vigilant. They go to their doctors, they get checked.

Robin Roberts Wife Amber Laign: Good Morning America Host Robin Roberts Weds Longtime Gf Amber Laign; Celebs Congratulate Couple

I can only hope my story will do the same and inspire every woman who hears it to get a mammogram, to take a self exam. No excuses. It is the difference between life and death.Copyright © 2024, Los Angeles Times | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | CA Notice of Collection | Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Amy Robach during a broadcast of “Good Morning America, “ in New York. A month after undergoing a mammogram on “Good Morning America, ” ABC’s Amy Robach said Monday, Nov. 11, she has breast cancer and will have a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery this week.

ABC

The 40-year-old newswoman, an anchor for ABC’s morning show, discovered she has breast cancer after having what she thought was a routine mammogram for an October piece on the show.

Things To Know About 'gma' Anchor Amy Robach And Her Alleged Affair With Tj Holmes

Turns out the procedure wasn’t routine at all: Doctors ran more tests and confirmed a cancer diagnosis. Robach says she will have a double mastectomy on Thursday.

“The doctors told me bluntly: ‘That mammogram just saved your life, ’” Robach wrote in an essay that ran on the ABC News website.

Robach said she had never had a mammogram before and had been reluctant to undergo the procedure this time but was persuaded by coworkers including “GMA’s” Robin Roberts, a cancer survivor herself.

Amy

Amy Robach Cancer Survivor & Good Morning America Host

“I got lucky by catching it early, and there are so many people to thank for making sure I did, ” Robach wrote. “Every producer, every person who urged me to do this, changed my trajectory.”

She added that she hopes her tale will “inspire every woman who hears it to get a mammogram, to take a self exam. No excuses. It is the difference between life and death.”

Scott Collins is a former staff reporter for the Calendar section of the Los Angeles Times. He joined the staff in 2004 after previous stints at the Hollywood Reporter and Inside.com. Author of the book “Crazy Like a Fox: The Inside Story of How Fox News Beat CNN, ” he is a frequent pop-culture expert on national TV, radio shows and industry panels. He left The Times in 2016.

New Study On Breast Cancer Vaccine

Posting Komentar untuk "Good Morning America Host That Had Breast Cancer"