How To America

How To America

Standup comic, actor and fan favorite from HBO's Silicon Valley and the film Crazy Rich Asians shares his memoir of growing up as a Chinese immigrant in California and making it in Hollywood. I turned down a job in finance to pursue a career in stand-up comedy. My dad thought I was crazy. But I figured it was better to disappoint my parents for a few years than to disappoint myself for the rest of my life. I had to disappoint them in order to pursue what I loved. That was the only way to have my Chinese turnip cake and eat an American apple pie too. Jimmy O. Yang is a standup comedian, film and TV actor and fan favorite as the character Jian Yang from the popular HBO series Silicon Valley. In How to American, he shares his story of growing up as a Chinese immigrant who pursued a Hollywood career against the wishes of his Yang arrived in Los Angeles from Hong Kong at age 13, learned English by watching BET RapCity for three hours a day, and worked as a strip club DJ while pursuing his comedy career. He chronicles a near deportation episode during a college trip Tijuana to finally becoming a proud US citizen ten years later. Featuring those and many other hilarious stories, while sharing some hard-earned lessons, How to American mocks stereotypes while offering tongue in cheek advice on pursuing the American dreams of fame, fortune, and strippers.

I've never heard of Jimmy O. Yang. Not a surprise, mostly because I don't watch television/movies. I'm always interested in immigrant stories, and Jimmys is good. He's funny and personable, and he's had one heck of a life. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for me to move to Hong Kong from America. Different culture and language? Forget about it! Jimmy cracked me up repeatedly throughout this book, and made me think. This is one book I'd recommend.

-

This book was nominated on the 2018 Choice Awards’ Nonfiction category and seeing it listed there was enough reason for me to pick it up and read it. I didn’t know who Jimmy O. Yang was but my husband saw the cover of the audiobook and told me he was Jian Yang from HBO’s Silicon Valley, he seemed overly excited that I was reading this book since that is one of his favorite shows. The author describes his experience emigrating from Hong Kong and into America as well as his career as a comedian and actor. I enjoy reading about the immigrants’ experience, every one of them is unique and yet carry a similar sense of wonder and wisdom. I relate to it and value the perspective of other people who have gone through it. I did not care for the description of college parties, trips to Tijuana, drug taking, etc., but I read on because there were other sections that were very interesting such as the relationship with his father. Overall, I enjoyed it and recommend it to fans of the TV show Silicon Valley and readers of nonfiction.

How Eddie Murphy's 1988 'coming To America' — Plus The Showtime Lakers And N.w.a. — Ushered In A Cultural Revolution

I was pleasantly surprised by this book, it was funny and smart and ended before I was ready to be finished with it. I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I expected to, as I'd never heard of Jimmy O. Yang, or seen anything he's been in prior to getting it. Lucky for me, it turned out to be a good experience. After reading the foreword by Mike Judge, I learned that Jimmy was born in Hong Kong and moved to the US just before starting high school. He learned English by watching BET, the Black Entertainment Television station and seeing videos by all of the hottest rappers like Tupac, Jay-Z, Snoop Dog, etc. After college, he started doing stand up comedy, but it wasn't enough to support him. He branched out into acting jobs doing commercials, whatever kind of acting jobs he could to get experience. Then he landed a role on HBOs Silicon Valley playing Jian Yang, and started becoming recognized by some fans. He also later got the hero Dun Meng in Mark Wahlberg's movie about the Boston Bombing Patriot's Day. Now his book is coming out well done, Jimmy It could be interesting to see what direction his goals and interests take him in next. We will just have to watch him and see. An advance digital copy was provided by NetGalley, Jimmy O. Yang, and DaCapo Press for my honest review. Date of publication is March 13

This was a quick, entertaining read. Loved the cringe-worthy pictures included in here. The book delivered exactly what was promised. I do wonder *who* this book is for. It's poised as a how-to guide for disappointing your parents, but if you're an immigrant, you probably already have a phd on that subject.

A fucking hilarious memoir. I laughed out loud a bunch of times. Amongst the jokes there is a ton of wisdom in this book about how to navigate Hollywood, strip clubs and racist hecklers. Perhaps it's because I was also a super minority at an Los Angeles high school about 10 miles away from Jimmy's at roughly the same time, but I found his stories of adolescence super relatable. I also appreciate that the audiobook came with an accompanying PDF so I didnt miss out on photos that were included in the printed book.

How

Moving To The Usa From The Uk: A How To Guide

Common, it's Jimmy, how could you not give him 5 stars for telling his own life story?? Plus he's hilarious. If you haven't watched his stand-up, do yourself a huge favor. Just started watching Silicon Valley since he talks so fondly about it in the book.

Hilarious But Also Full Of Interesting Stories 4.5 out of 5 stars I didn’t realize just how much I was going to enjoy this book until I was in tears from laughing on my way into work. I listen to audiobooks in my car and this was absolutely hilarious. So funny (especially the chapter about working with T.J. Miller) that I think people thought I was crazy in my car. Jimmy O. Yang – better known as Jian Yang on the hit tv-show Silicon Valley came to America as a young child. He spent his early childhood learning how to speak English watching BET. And became a stand-up, not for not-so-normal reasons. How To American tells these stories and many others about the life of Jimmy O. Yang so far. I knew Jian Yang — aka Jimmy from Silicon Valley. When I saw that he wrote a book I was on board. I did not know he was a standup comedian (I love all things standup related). I also didn’t know pretty much anything about him before reading this. I’m really glad I took the 6 hours to read this one. Jimmy is a hilarious and thoughtful writer – who would make me laugh one second talking about how his dad would insult him and in the next moment would make me think deeply about the people around me. That’s the thing about this book and Jimmy in general – they are full of surprises. Silicon Valley fans will be happy that there are about 3 chapters around the show along with one really funny one about his interaction with T.J. Miller – “I eat the fish”. But How To American has so much more in it. I loved the stories about his early “rap” career along with the stories related to being a strip club DJ. How To American was so much more than I expected and I’m thrilled. Jimmy is a fascinating guy and I can’t wait to see where his career takes him.

How

I don't review nonfiction a lot so I'll need to forgo my normal structure and just give you my thoughts. I enjoyed the book, O.Yang has a unique voice and his story is one that is familiar to a lot of success stories in Hollywood (eating ramen, barely getting by). But because he's Chinese and he came from where I came from I understood it a bit more of the drive that he had and the trails and tribulations he had to get where he is today. It's an interesting read for me. I will be honest and say that I don't find this book particularly funny but that's just me. Onward to the next book!

How America Became Capitalist

This book is absolutely hilarious. Pretty much reminds me of my Asian friends. His experiences in LA are actually pretty crazy. Great point of the book is to never give up. I need to catch up on Silicon Valley.

-

Jimmy has navigated a lot of interesting experiences and I'm pleased for his success. Not just in this book, but in his life, he needs to reconsider his frame of reference for every interaction he's had with female human beings. Throughout his narrative we are solely mentioned as hot or not, and how his supposed inability to score us somehow relates to his status as a

This book is absolutely hilarious. Pretty much reminds me of my Asian friends. His experiences in LA are actually pretty crazy. Great point of the book is to never give up. I need to catch up on Silicon Valley.

-

Jimmy has navigated a lot of interesting experiences and I'm pleased for his success. Not just in this book, but in his life, he needs to reconsider his frame of reference for every interaction he's had with female human beings. Throughout his narrative we are solely mentioned as hot or not, and how his supposed inability to score us somehow relates to his status as a

Posting Komentar untuk "How To America"